East Kent Housing – Fire Compliance Reports to 6. No High Rise Blocks
Client: East Kent Housing
Capital were appointed by East Kent Housing to assess the
suitability and condition of their existing Active Fire Detection and
Fire Protective Systems to 6.No high-rise blocks in Ramsgate and
Margate. The reports included for the production of scoping
documents and recommendations for improvements, changes or
alterations to bring the blocks up to current fire guidance and
legislation requirements and address any concerns found within
their Fire Risk Assessment.
The reports reviewed the external cladding material fixed to the
buildings and considered the possible benefits of installing fire
suppression systems. The reports also advised EKH on how ‘best
practice’ could be achieved in line with the guidance contained
within Approved Document B volume 2 (AD-B), BS9999 and
BS9991, to enable them to fully meet their obligations under the
Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
The findings / recommendations of the surveys were as follows:
- Replacement of combustible EWI cladding.
- Install throughout a category LD2 alarm and detection
- system in accordance with BS5839 pt6 to flats.
- Upgrade existing communal fire detection and alarm
- system, provide facility for future interconnectivity.
- Replace all non LSF wiring in communal spaces.
- Replace all flat entrance door sets with certified FD30S in
- accordance with BS8214.
- Doors between the lobby, stair and corridor to be replaced
- by certified FD60S door sets.
- Survey and upgrade as appropriate all horizontal and
- vertical fire stopping to service ducts and penetrations
- between compartments to flats and communal areas.
- Install adequate emergency exit signage to BS5499-1
- where appropriate throughout the building.
- Replace all surface linings within the common areas to
- ensure they achieve national class 0 rating.
- Retrofit new sprinkler systems.
- Install new independent flat ventilation systems to replace
- vertical shunt duct arrangements.
- Fire Compliance Assessment
- Fire Compliance Recommendations
Facts & Figures
- Estimated Contract Value: £14,022,000
- Construction Dates: TBC
- Form of Contract: JCT Standard
Capital were commissioned to undertake fire compliance reports to 6.No blocks in Ramsgate and Margate in Kent. The investigations and reports would look at all active fire detection and fire protection systems to the blocks an provide recommendations and a scope of works for improvement in line with the Fire Risk Assessment recommendations which EKH had commissioned